Alright, first of all, you need to know that everybody has problems in their marriages and families. It is not because the new generation has taught people to get provoked at everything. The new generation appreciates and understands when people stand up for what is wrong and what they cannot tolerate anymore. If you are having some problems in your marriage but still wish to make it works because you somewhere love each other or for the children, you must seek a counselor’s help.
You need to get over some myths and stigma surrounding it, though. For example, you will not get any side effects from their medications because a counsellor cannot prescribe medicines. They will listen to what you have to say, and based on what they have gathered about people and similar situations, suggest some doable solutions. Block out stigma from your mind.
When should you visit a counsellor?
Marriage counselling is a big deal for a family or an individual since things can go better or worse after your sessions. It is a big step in your married life. Some signs or feelings often tell you that it is now time to seek some external help. The following are some of the reasons why couples go for counseling, as revealed by some experts in the area:
- A lack of love in the marriage, which leads to constant emotional unhappiness.
- The couple does not communicate properly and in full disclosure.
- Frequent arguments or anger management issues. The worst thing is when every conversation turns into an argument, which further turns into a bigger fight.
- A lack of sexual and emotional intimacy often distresses the couple and is a huge reason for the next step that is infidelity.
- The conflicts keep building up without being resolved.
- The couple truly desires to work on the marriage but cannot find any way themselves.
If you are experiencing an excess and an increased frequency of these problems, you should go to a counsellor, even if you do not feel like it.
What will you experience in marriage counselling?
The counseling will be spread out in different sessions that you will have to attend. Each session focuses on different areas of recovery and differentiating periods of listening and doing. You will see the following being thoroughly covered in your sessions:
- The issue of lacking communication will be resolved.
- You will learn about each others’ expectations and how to fulfill them through expectations management.
- Conflict management will be a major part of the counseling since everything ultimately leads to conflict in a deteriorating marriage.
- You will learn how to solve problems on your own.
- You will understand your partner’s perception.